For several years, the Medoc Marathon has been carrying out numerous actions to make this race an eco-responsible event.
Here is a non-exhaustive list of our actions:
COMMITMENT #1: 50% MINIMUM RESPONSIBLE EATING
- A healthy and diversified diet offer
- Pre-race meals are mainly composed of pasta with vegetables and protein (meat or fish depending on the year)
- We favour a local, regional supply, then expanded to the nearby territories
- Procurement related to the INTERMARCHE brand with a regional base in the South-West region
- Biscuit LU: Factory located in Cestas near Bordeaux
- MIRA Beer: Brewer located on the Bassin d’Arcachon
- Oysters from Bassin d’Arcachon
COMMITMENT #2: ENCOURAGING PUBLIC TRANSPORTATION AND CAR-SHARING
- Incentive to use the buses of the Nouvelle Aquitaine Region and the SNCF trains from Bordeaux on our various communication media (website, newsletter)
- Incentive to give preference to accommodation on the Medoc area to limit transport:
- Partnership with Pauillac tourism office and Omystay.
- Partnership with Medoc tourism offices.
- Partnership for rental of Van adapted to sleep on site
- Setting up of official shuttles for the Medoc Marathon from Bordeaux, on Friday, Saturday and Sunday
COMMITMENT #3: PURCHASES BASED ON THE SELECTION CRITERIA “CORPORATE SOCIAL RESPONSIBILITY”
- Priority to European suppliers for our purchases.
Long-term relationships of trust have been established with our partners for years. Willingness to build long-term partnerships with our suppliers so that the relationship is a win-win.
COMMITMENT #4: WASTE REDUCTION AND RECOVERY AND/OR RECYCLING OF WASTE
- WILL TO REDUCE OUR WASTE
- Communication :
- 100% of our newsletters are sent electronically
- We favour social networks and emails to communicate with our audience
- Single use tableware :
- Removal of disposable plastic cups along the way replaced by recyclable bottles with snapclick cap (cap attached to the bottle) and biodegradable cups
- Plastic bottles from “Cristaline”, partner of the Medoc Marathon, which has been committed for several years to an eco-responsible approach, notably using a minimum of 20% recycled polyethylene terephthalate (rPET) from old recycled bottles.
- Removal of plastic cups at snack bars and final refreshment replaced by reusable cups
- Use of compostable dishes on snack bars and refreshments
- DESIRE TO SORT OUR WASTE ON THE ROUTE AND ON THE VARIOUS SITES OF THE EVENT
- Implementation of a specific report for waste sorting on all the waste bins of the event
- RACE ROUTE :
- Recycling of water bottles used on the route via waste nets
- Each supply team has the mission of sorting 100% of the waste in its refreshment zone
- STARTING & FINISH LINE AREA, SNACK BARS + VARIOUS MEALS
- Presence of a Green Brigade on all the venues of the event to raise awareness and brief the teams of volunteers on waste sorting
- Effective collaboration with volunteer teams and caterers to optimize waste sorting at event meals
- Cleaning of the Pauillac docks throughout the day by a specific team
- Already some encouraging results :
- 50% of our waste is reused, recycled or recovered
- Recovery of food scraps and compostable waste: +52% between 2018 and 2019
- Sharp decrease in residual waste over the past 3 years: -22% in 2018 and – 52% in 2019.
COMMITMENT #5: RESPECT FOR NATURAL SITES
- RACE ROUTE : Thanks to our teams of volunteers, 100% of the course is cleaned a few hours after the last runner has passed
- STARTING & FINISH ZONE : All our facilities (100% temporary) are dismantled at D+3.
COMMITMENT #6: OPTIMIZATION OF ENERGY EXPENDITURE
- Lighting only during the day and evening, all lighting is switched off at night
- Widespread use of Leds for lighting
- COSEC space to retrieve race bibs is equipped with WIFI
COMMITMENT #7: ACCESS TO PERSONS WITH DISABILITIES
- All our sites are accessible to people with disabilities
- Our event is open to handi cart allowing people with disabilities to participate as a team at the Medoc Marathon.
- Collaboration with a Work Assistance Centre for the preparation of bottles (bedding) and posters offered to runners
- Provision of disabled access in our various car parks
COMMITMENT #8: PROMOTING ACCESS TO DISADVANTAGED PEOPLE
- We favour the recruitment of local temporary workers for the setting up and dismantling of the event with a local interim agency
COMMITMENT #9: NEW IDEAS TESTED EVERY YEAR
- Thinking is underway to further reduce our waste
- Willingness to give preference to allocations for runners coming from France and made with responsible materials
- Desire to reduce the impressions related to the event each year by focusing on digital documents
COMMITMENT #10: PROMOTION OF ALL VOLUNTEERS
- Friendly moments are organized throughout the year to thank and join our teams of volunteers
- Highlighting the invaluable and indispensable help of our 3,000 volunteers in all our communications
COMMITMENT #11: COMMITMENT TO A CAUSE OF SOLIDARITY
- 2 charities are selected by the organizers each year
- Donation of € 8,000 to associations per year (€ 1 donated per runners) or € 4,000 per association
- Provision of a stand on the marathon village the day before the event so that associations can present themselves and make animations/ awareness among spectators and runners.
- Opportunities for local associations to take advantage of the event to organize festive meals around the event
- The local Rugby, football teams organize festive meals on the quays of Pauillac to finance their actions
- Local associations organize «the rural market» during the Sunday Walk. The profits are distributed by the municipality housing the gourmet village to the various associations.
COMMITMENT #12: PROMOTING GENDER PARITY
- Runners: 32% of the participants in the Medoc Marathon are women, making the Medoc Marathon the most feminized marathon in France.
COMMITMENT #13: 1 REFERENCE “SUSTAINABLE DEVELOPMENT” in the organization
- 1 person member of the Board of Directors of the “Association du Marathon des Châteaux du Médoc” is in charge of “sustainable development” issues.
ENGAGEMENT #14: AWARENESS ACTIONS
- Highlighting our actions on waste sorting on our communication media
- Creation of a web page on our website dedicated to our responsible commitments.